Throughout June – National Great Outdoors Month – Western North Carolina comes to life with wildflowers dotting the Appalachians. If you missed the spring blooms, look for these blossoms:
• Fire pinks – Bright, red perennials.
• Ox-eye daisies – A white-and-yellow classic
• Gray’s lily – Also known as the orange bell lily
• Turkey beard – Resembling a certain bird
• White and purple rhododendrons – They have poisonous characteristics
Admire the natural elegance of these flowers at state parks, like Grandfather Mountain, or the NC Rhododendron Festival. This event takes place June 15-16 in Bakersville, celebrating the wildflowers with a pageant, 10K run and more.
– Ashley Scholten, S&A Communications