According to an American Chemistry Council survey, the average household throws out $640 of food each year. This hurts wallets and the environment, so here are some helpful tips for reducing food waste in your home:
• Meal planning – Base meals around what produce is freshest at the market, or shop only for what you know you’ll need.
• Buy in bulk – Especially for meats, buying in bulk and freezing portions saves time and money.
• Eat in season – Save by avoiding out-of-season produce and get the most out of your vegetables.
• Order groceries online – Limit convenience foods and impulse buys.
– Beth Harris, S&A Communications