In honor of National Wine Day on May 25, consider visiting one of the North Carolina Wine Trails in May or June.
• Shallow Ford, in the Yadkin Valley, features four closely situated vineyards.
• The Southern Gateway Trail runs through the Historic Barbecue Trail in Lexington.
• West of Winston-Salem, the Swan Creek Trail includes six wineries within five miles.
• The Yadkin River Trail, near Winston-Salem, boasts five wineries.
• The Uwharrie Mountains Trail vineyards use muscadine grapes to create European blends. The award-winning Old Stone Winery offers white and red muscadine as well as fruit wines, merlot and chardonnay.
– Deneen Bloom, S&A Communications