Independence Day is a fun time for a patriotic celebration with friends and family, but if you plan on using fireworks, the National Safety Council suggests the following:
• Have a bucket of water or hose nearby.
• Only use fireworks in clear, outdoor areas.
• Wear safety glasses.
• Light fireworks one at a time.
• Never re-light fireworks that don’t ignite fully.
• Douse unused fireworks with water before disposal.
North Carolinians over the age of 18 may purchase in-state fireworks but must submit an application to the State Fire Marshal, attend a safety class, and pass an exam to use them.