The thirst for education runs deep in our veins. We know it is a pathway to a better future. The Lumbee Indians of Robeson County knew that, and following legislature approval, a clapboard, two-story building was opened in 1888 to train American Indian teachers. Fifteen students enrolled.
It grew and grew. The school was moved to Pembroke in 1909, changing its name to Indian Normal School of Robeson County in 1911. By 1953, white students could enroll.
Following that humble start, now over 6,000 students drink from the education well of the University of North Carolina at Pembroke.
– Ron Smith, S&A Communications